PlayStation 4 Features*
- The PS4 allows people to resume games instantly upon powering on the system (no startup time) from where they were when they turned the system off. (Source)
- All PS4 games (that aren’t camera-based) should be playable remotely on Day 1 via Remote Play on the PS Vita. (Source)
- The PS4 will allow users to play games after downloading only a small portion of the game’s data. (Source)
- Gamers can charge the DualShock 4 controller while PS4 is on standby. (Source)
- Share button functionality allows for quick screenshots or video upload of gameplay as well as sharing live streams of gameplay with friends or over USTREAM. (Source)
- Users will be able take remote control of friends games to help them through tough spots and such. (Source)
- The system will launch with a headset that plugs directly into the controller for more prevalent voice communication across the PSN. (Source)
- Cross-game chat is officially supported. (Source)
- The PS4 will not block used games. Though publishers are free to do as they wish. (Source)
- Game prices will range from $0.99-$59.99. (Source)
- All PS4 games will be available as digital downloads. (Source)
- The PS4 will support Move but not the DualShock 3. (Source)
- A PlayStation app called ‘PlayStation App’ is coming to Android and iOS that allows the device to act as a second screen (a la SmartGlass) as well as purchase content and have it directly downloaded to your system. (Source) It stands to reason that this will also include messaging on the go and other stuff like that.
- The PS4 will support 4K video output but not for games. (Source)
- The PS4 is 3D capable but it is not a focus. (Source)
- Certain apps can run in the background of games (such as the web browser) so you can access them without having to leave the game itself. (Source)
- The PS4 is not natively backwards compatible and thus cannot play PS3 games by default. However, to remedy this Sony has invested heavily in cloud gaming and hopes to have a cloud-based solution to allow for PS3 games on the PS4 as well as other devices. (Source)
- The PS4 will not support the DualShock 3. (Source)
Missing Stuff So Far
- The System Itself – No biggie. My guess it will be a black box with stuff in it.
- System Pricing – including if there will be tiered models or a PS Vita bundle.
- Hard Drive Size/Upgradability – What size HDDs will launch with the system and will they be easily upgradable like the PS3?
- Pressure Sensitive Buttons – Are the controller buttons still pressure sensitive like the DualShock 3’s were?
- YouTube & Twitter – They were both strangely missing for the apps page in the OS preview and USTREAM seems to be the official gameplay stream site of choice for Sony. This could mean Xbox is about to announce something big in conjunction with YouTube. (Source) Still, USTREAM does support easy uploading of videos to YouTube (Source) so, as long as there is an easy way to watch YouTube, this shouldn’t be a big deal.
PlayStation 4 (Breakdown of the PS4 specs)
|Main Processor||Single-chip custom processor|
|CPU||x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores|
|GPU||1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine|
|Optical Drive (Read-only)||Blu-ray 6xCAV, DVD 8xCAV|
|I/O||Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0), AUX|
|Communication||Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T), IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)|
|AV Output||HDMI, Analog-AV out, Digital Output (optical)|
DualShock 4 Controller (Images)
|External Dimensions||Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)|
|Weight||Approx. 210g (tentative)|
|Keys / Switches||PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2/R3/L3, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad Button|
|Touch Pad||2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type|
|Motion Sensor||Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)|
|Other Features||Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker|
|Ports||USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack|
|Wireless communication||Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR|
|Battery Type||Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery|
|Battery Voltage||DC3.7V (tentative)|
|Battery Capacity||1000mAh (tentative)|
|External Dimensions||Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm (width x height x depth) (tentative)|
|Weight||Approx. 183g (tentative)|
|Video Pixel||(Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2|
|Video Frame Rate||1280×800 pixel @ 60fps, 640×400 pixel @ 120fps, 320×192 pixel @ 240fps|
|Video Format||RAW, YUV (uncompressed)|
|Lens||Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus|
|Microphone||4 Channel Microphone Array|
|Connection Type||PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)|
|Cable Length||Approx. 2m (tentative)|
- Deep Down
- Diablo III
- Final Fantasy (Untitled)
- inFAMOUS: Second Son
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Watch Dogs
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- The Witness
A full list of confirmed third-party PS4 developers can be found here.
The link to the Wiki page is here if you want to stay up-to-date on this stuff as we’ll try and keep it as updated as possible. Everything in this article has been collected by IceBreak and is also available on Reddit’s PS4 wiki
*No specifications have been officially finalized but everything below has been officially announced.